The church began in the early 1960's as a Home Bible study in Santa Barbara.
It moved to the Women's Clubhouse in Carpinteria on Dec. 8,1964.
The first church service and Sunday school was held on March 14, 1965. The church moved into its current location on April 1, 1969 with its first public service on Easter Sunday.
They rented the building until, in 1971, the congregation was able to purchase the current property. The current building was built in 1880 in Santa Barbara by a Methodist Church. In November 1892 it was cut into three sections and moved along the coastline on horse-drawn flatbed wagons twelve miles to its current location at the corner of Maple Avenue and Eighth Street. The original stained glass windows, memorializing prominent pioneers, survives to the present day with minimal damage. It is one of the few historical landmarks of the community that still stands.
More important than the history of the building, however, is the history of our faith. Carpinteria Valley Baptist Church remains true to the historical integrity of biblical doctrine as taught not only by the founders of this congregation, but also as taught by our Baptist forefathers, and Bible-believers throughout church history.
Dr. Stephen R. Button has been pastor since March 2003.